Thursday, May 5, 2011

moab take 2, part 3

Our second night in Moab brought warm temperatures and crazy 30 mph winds.  I suffered through delirious, half-asleep dreams of our tent flying away and floating down the river.  Luckily, that was not the case.  However, the winds did blow plenty of sand through the vents...mouthfuls of sand are a really pleasant way to wake up.

The winds continued the next day during our adventure at Canyonlands National Park.  They definitely caused me to be even more afraid of heights than I already am, since I feared a gust would blow me over the edge of a cliff.  Luckily, that didn't happen.  In spite of the winds (or possibly because of?), I thoroughly enjoyed my visit to Canyonlands.  The geography completely took my breath away.  It's funny how you can get so used to a landscape that you don't appreciate it anymore.  I know I sound like a huge brat when I say this, but even the gorgeous Rockies would sometimes lose their awesomeness.  When you live in a place everyday, it becomes regular.  So, my point in this whole huge tangent, is that, at Canyonlands, I was in awe of nature again.  I felt so small.  I felt like I could see forever and felt how unbelievable nature is anew.  Really, words can't do the emotions I was feeling justice.  It was just incredible.  We only went to the Island in the Sky part of the park, because it is the closest to the campsites.  But apparently the other parts are even more amazing...something I find hard to believe, but am excited to check out for myself some day.

The little duckling who was hiding in the last post...just a little high of center.

Our friend, Mikey, the daredevil...

A picture that gives you an idea of the scale of these canyons.  The pictures honestly don't do it any justice.

A bit of color in the desert in the form of a cactus rose.

More cactus roses with a hint of canyons in the background.  I love this picture.

Canyons that look like fingers reaching into the landscape.  You can see miles in this picture.  Those canyons probably go down thousands of feet---so says Dan, my authority on all estimated numbers/statistics.

A rim walk...it was frightening, but the views were unbelievable.

Mikey giving us all heart attacks again.  What you can't see is that there is a ledge just below him.

Katie taking pictures.


The whole group (except for Dan who is too scared of heights to get that close to the edge) posing for a picture

Mikey and Chris 

A framed view

Our campsite for the last two nights, which we shared with Aly and Andy.

The view of the glowing rock formations at sunset against a dark and stormy sky.

1 comment: