Thursday, January 13, 2011

learning about aperture (?)

I'm learning a lot about aperture by experimenting with different settings.  For example, I learned that the numbers are inversely related to the light let in.  Little number=lots of light.  Big number=less light.  I think? Sigh.  I feel like everything kind of goes in one ear and out the other. I'm trying really hard to remember it all, but there's just so much. Maybe I need to slow down and work on one thing at a time. 


Irregardless, these two photos are horribly overexposed.  p.s. I just said "irregardless" which isn't a word.  Just making sure you're paying attention.  I HATE it when people say irregardless. Ugh.

So now I'm second guessing myself and wondering if I wasn't playing with shutter speed here.  But I wasn't, right? Because shutter speed has to do with movement and aperture has to do with how much light is let in/what's blurry or in focus.  


I changed the aperture drastically and got the above super dark photo, then changed it back a little bit and found a good compromise.  The photo below pretty accurately represents what the road really looked like driving back from Denver. 


Here are a few more pictures of Dan, driving past Copper Mountain on our way back to Vail.  This is where I learned about the inverse relationship between f-stop number and light in the picture.  I tried to turn it up really high to let in more light, and it just kept getting darker.  I was oh, so confused.  This whole camera thing isn't painting me in a very good light.




The last one finally shows Dan's face, but it's still a little blurry.  WHICH I think means I need a faster shutter speed.  And as much as I want it to, shutter speed does not mean flash.  Don't know why I get those two confused.  Maybe because they both make noises?  Eesh.  I promise I'm smarter than this. 

1 comment:

  1. OH MY GOD. I seriously was 2 seconds away from dialing your number on my phone (who are we kidding, looking you up in my contacts) and reaming you out for using 'irregardless'!!!! Hahaha you are the best. Phew.

    ReplyDelete