Sunday, February 13, 2011

one day without shoes

I recently became obsessed with TOMS shoes.  I had seen them around before, but it wasn't until Dan's cousin, Katy, sang their praises when we visited her in DC this fall that I found myself dying to buy a pair.  In November, I purchased my first pair, which is gray, in Kansas City.  I love them.  They're my grown-up, sneaky way to wear something as comfortable as slippers outside while still looking appropriate.   
Then, for Christmas, I received another pair, this time sparkly and festive!  

And the best part about them is that every time you buy a pair, an identical pair (maybe sans sparkles) is given to children living in poverty.  I know some people are skeptical of this policy, saying that giving an equal amount of money to those same children would help them more.  While I understand their point, I disagree with them.  I think many of the people who purchase these shoes (aka me, as much as I hate to admit it) are more likely to buy the shoes than to find a specific way to donate money.  Furthermore, I think it's a phenomenal business concept.  Why not build some philanthropic mission into your business model?  Now, people can buy cute shoes and feel good about doing it.  Plus, it's a great way to make sure that important resources are reaching the people who need them.

To promote their mission, TOMS has created a "One Day Without Shoes" campaign.  Here is the promotional youtube video: 



I would love to try to go without shoes for a day....although if I'm teaching ski school, it might be difficult.  To learn more visit: http://www.onedaywithoutshoes.com/

photos of shoes from www.toms.com

No comments:

Post a Comment